I made some quick Souvlaki out of sirloin steaks. Marinated in olive oil, minced garlic, Turkish cumin, oregano, black pepper & salt & paprika.
1 Pound, cut into 2-inch cubes
2 Clove (10 gm), mince
1 Teaspoon (Turkish)
Cracked black pepper
1 Teaspoon (to taste)
1. Trim excess fat from the meat cubes.
2. Combine the spices, herbs and oil in a non-metallic dish.
3. Toss the meat chunks in this and leave to marinate for as long as possible.
4. Thread the spiced beef chunks onto metal skewers.
5. Grill the meat on a charcoal, gas or electric grill, turning frequently to cook evenly, until the meat is tender and char-grilled about 10 minutes
6. Serve the souvlaki with beans, salad and spicy chili chutney or with rice and cool yogurt cucumber sauce.
This is a quick and easy recipe for the classic Greek Souvlaki or beef kebab but it tastes like the one you get at Mediterranean restaurants. Use a very tender cut of beef like the sirloin for this Greek-style barbecued skewered meat. Marinate it in spices and herbs and add peppers, onions and cherry tomatoes if you like. It is a low fat, high protein meal. Serve the kebabs with beans, salad and a hot spicy chili relish as surfinsapo does or with rice and cool cucumber yogurt like the Greeks do!