Greek Lamb Stew Avgolemono
|Lean lamb||3 Pound (1 1/2-inch cubes)|
|Olive oil/Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Large, sliced|
|Dry white wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Fresh dill/Dried dill weed - 1 teaspoon||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Frozen artichoke hearts||20 Ounce (2 packets)|
|Dry white wine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fresh lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) In a Dutch Oven, heat oil. Brown the lamb, a few at a time.
Transfer the browned meat to a bowl.
2) To the same vessel, add in onions. Saute for 5 minutes or until they turn golden. Add the meat back in along with 1/2 cup of wine. Let the mixture simmer on low flame for 15 minutes.
3) Add in water, salt, pepper and bay leaf. On low heat, cook covered for 1 hour and 15 minutes or till the meat becomes tender.
4) Add in the dill and artichokes. Cook for 10 more minutes till the artichokes become tender.
5) Fish the bay leaf out. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meat and artichokes into a shallow serving casserole. Cover to keep warm.
6) Collect 3 cups of the cooking liquid. If neede, add a little wine or water. Let the cooking liquid come to a boil.
7) In a small cup, mix flour in 1/4 cup wine. Pour into the cooking liquid to thicken.
8) In a bowl, add in the eggs and beat using a hand blender. Add in lemon juice and beat once more. Slowly, pour a little of the cooking liquid into the egg mixture. Stir to combine and pour it back into the rest of the cooking liquid. Let cook for a minute over low flame. Do not allow the mixture to boil.
9) Pour the prepared sauce over the meat and artichokes arranged in the casserole.
10) Garnish with lemon wedges and sprigs of fresh dill.