|Elbow macaroni||1⁄2 Pound|
|Onions||2 Medium, chopped|
|Ground chuck||1 Pound|
|Tomato sauce||2 Can (20 oz)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Cinnamon||2 Teaspoon, ground|
|All purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Milk||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 13X9X2-inch baking dish.
2) In a large saucepan, boil 2 quarts of water with 2 teaspoons of salt over high heat. All in the elbow macaroni. Keep stirring the pasta around. Cook the pasta al dente as per packet instruction. Drain and set aside.
3) In a 10-inch skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Saute the onions till golden brown. Add in the chuck, breaking it apart with the back of a wooden spoon. Saute the meat till it loses its raw colour.
4) Add in the tomato sauce, 1 teaspoon salt, garlic, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and simmer the mixture for 20 minutes.
5) Pour half of the cooked pasta into the baking dish. Add the meat sauce on top, spreading it across evenly. Add in the rest of the macaroni on top.
6) In a medium saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons of butter. Stir in the flour. Take the pan off the heat and slowly add in the milk. Whisk till the mixture becomes smooth. Heat and simmer for 5 more minutes till the sauce thickens. Let cool slightly.
7) In a medium bowl, beat the eggs lightly. Add in half of the thickened sauce while beating continously.
8) Sprinkle salt, pepper and nutmeg on top. Mix well. Pour the mixture over the pasta. Sprinkle cinnamon and pour the rest of the sauce on top. Let the sauce seep to the bottom by tapping the dish hard on the surface.
9) Bake for 40 minutes or until the Pastitsio is set. Let it rest at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.
10) Serve the Greek Pastitsio warm, garnished with grated cheese on top.
Calories 454 Calories from Fat 210
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g35.9%
Saturated Fat 11.2 g55.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 145.8 mg48.6%
Sodium 846 mg35.3%
Total Carbohydrates 41 g13.8%
Dietary Fiber 3.8 g15.2%
Sugars 10.5 g
Protein 20 g39.4%
Vitamin A 15.4% Vitamin C 22.6%
Calcium 12.2% Iron 13.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet