Greek Style Chicken and Bean Stew
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic cloves||2 Large, minced|
|Chicken/Turkey||1 1⁄4 Pound, ground|
|Chicken/Turkey||1 1⁄4 Pound|
|Dried mint||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried oregano||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Plum tomatoes with juice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (Whole)|
|Plum tomatoes||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (Whole With Their Juices)|
|Pinto beans||15 1⁄2 Ounce, drained and rinsed (1 Can)|
|Canned pinto beans||15 1⁄2 Ounce, drained and rinsed (1 Can)|
|Lemon||1 , freshly squeezed, zest grated|
|Kalamata olives||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), pitted, quartered|
|Zucchini/Yellow squash||1 Pound, seeded, diced (2 Pieces)|
|Zucchini/Yellow squash||1 Pound, seeded and diced (2 Zucchini)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
1) In a large saucepan, saute the garlic and chicken over a medium-high heat, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes, until the chicken is brown and crumbled.
2) Stir in the mint, oregano and tomatoes with their juices, breaking the tomatoes with the side of a wooden spoon.
3) Then stir in the beans and simmer covered over a low heat for 10 minutes, until the ingredients are thoroughly heated.
4) Stir in the zucchini, cover and simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes until just tender.
5) Turn off the heat, stir in the lemon zest, juice and olives. Then season with the salt and pepper to taste.
6) Serve immediately on individual serving plates.