Greek Sweet Bread Vasilopita
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Butter||1⁄2 Pound, melted|
|Anise||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cake yeast||1 Tablespoon|
1) The night before making the bread, prepare the yeast by dissolving it in 1 cup of scaled milk which has been cooled down to a lukewarm temperature. Add a cup of flour.
2) The next day, preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
3) Melt the butter and allow it to cool.
4) Beat together the sugar, eggs, butter, 1 cup of warm milk, flavouring and salt in a large bowl.
5) Add the yeast-flour mixture and just enough water to make a dough which is soft. Knead properly.
6) Cover the dough and keep it aside so that it can rise.
7) Form the dough into the desired shape and put it in the baking pan. Allow to rise once again till the dough has doubled in volume.
8) Bake in preheated oven for at least 60 minutes or till the bread is done.
9) Serve or use as preferred. The recipe is enough for 3 loaves of bread.