Greek Spinach Pie
|Phyllo pastry||1⁄2 Pound (Usually Available In 1-Pound Packages)|
|Spinach||1 1⁄2 Pound, stems removed, washed and dried (1 Very Large Bunch Or 2 Small To Medium Ones)|
|Yellow onion||1⁄2 , finely chopped|
|Green onions||2 , finely chopped|
|Light olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped fresh dill/2 teaspoons dried dill||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped fresh mint||2 Tablespoon (10 To 12 Leaves)|
|Ground cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Preferably Freshly Ground)|
|Nutmeg||1 Pinch (Preferably Freshly Grated)|
|Feta cheese||1⁄4 Pound, crumbled|
|Cottage cheese||1⁄4 Pound|
|Grated kasseri/Romano cheese||2 Ounce (Approximately 1 /2 Cup)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Unsalted butter||6 Tablespoon, melted|
1) Thaw phyllo overnight in the refrigerator if frozen.
2) Take out phyllo from wrapping and lay out the stack of sheets. If it is a 1 -pound package, half them widthwise.
3) Cover the portion for cooking with a plastic wrap and damp kitchen towel.
4) Tightly wrap remaining sheets in plastic wrap.
5) Place in refrigerator and store fot at least a week.
6) Chop the spinach leaves finely.
7) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
8) In a large pan heat olive oil over medium heat fry yellow onion and green onions in it for 5 minutes.
9) Mix the spinach, dill, mint, cumin and nutmeg and stir till the spinach is soft and the liquid has dried.
10) Keep aside to cool.
11) Lightly beat eggs in a large bowl.
12) To it add feta, cottage and kasseri cheeses, spinach mixture, and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
13) Grease a 9-by-13-inch rectangular baking dish with melted butter.
14) Lay a sheet of phyllo in the bottom of the dish. Let the edges come up on the sides of the dish. Brush melted butter on it.
15) Follow same process to layer half of the sheets brushing each time with butter.
16) Place filling evenly on top.
17) Fold edges of phyllo dough over the filling.
18) Layer the remaining phyllo sheets brushing each layer with butter. End the top layer with butter.
19) Tuck the edges down along the sides of the dish.
20) Score pie top with a knife into squares or diamonds.
21) Don't slice through the bottom layer.
22) Bake for 1 hour till the pie is crisp.
23) Take off from oven and cool.
24) Put aluminum foil on the top and pack in cooler.
25) Serve from baking dish. Alternatively, pack in a single layer in a portable container.
Calories 389 Calories from Fat 216
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g37.1%
Saturated Fat 12.5 g62.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 127.2 mg42.4%
Sodium 631.7 mg26.3%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.4%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16.1%
Sugars 2.9 g
Protein 16 g32.1%
Vitamin A 233.4% Vitamin C 59.4%
Calcium 36.9% Iron 28.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet