The Greek Cook: Spanakopita (Spinach Pie)
|Feta cheese||400 Gram|
|Fresh onion||2 Tablespoon|
|Leek||1⁄2 , chopped finely (Optional)|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|Olive oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||500 Gram|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|White wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|White pepper||To Taste|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (as needed)|
1. Wash spinach 4-5 times to remove dirt and drain it in colander.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of salt, mix well and set it aside for 5 minutes.
3. After 5 minutes, squeeze the spinach and chop it finely.
4. In a large bowl, combine spinach, feta cheese, dill, onion, leek, egg, and olive oil.
5. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
6. For dough, in a separate bowl combine flour, egg, olive oil, white wine, pepper, and salt. Mix well.
7. Add water, as needed and knead it into fluffy dough. Divide dough into half for top and bottom.
8. On floured surface, roll dough into a thin sheet and place it in a greased baking dish.
9. Pour the mixture on top. Fold and cover as shown in the video with the top sheet.
10. Using a knife make small cuts on top for steam to escape and apply some oil.
11. Sprinkle sesame and cover it with foil.
13. Pop it in a preheated medium to high oven and bake for 15 minutes.
14. Cut in slices and serve hot.