Greek Nut Cake
|Shelled pecans||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Orange rind||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Lemon rind||1 Teaspoon, grated|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Honey||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
1) Preheat oven at 350°F.
2) Use the food chopper, to chop pecans and zwieback together.
3) With a grater, carefully bring out the rinds orange and lemon.
4) In two bowls, separately place egg whites and egg yolks.
5) Beat the egg yolks to light.
6) Gradually add sugar to the eggs and keep on beating until the sugar dissolves and mixture turns smooth.
7) Fold in vanilla, whiskey, water, cinnamon, cloves, baking powder, pecans, zwieback and grated orange and lemon rind and stir well.
8) Beat the egg whites to make it stand in points.
9) Gently fold the egg white mixture in to the egg yolk mixture.
10) Use a greased 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan to pour the batter.
11) Place the pan inside oven and bake in moderate heat for 30 minutes or until done.
12) Allow to cool on a wire rack without removing the cake.
13) With a toothpick, prick the cake in several places.
14) In a saucepan, add honey, water and lemon juice to heat up the mixture.
15) Let it come to lukewarm temperature.
16) Pour the mixture all over the cooled cake in the pan.
17) Let the cake sit for some time to absorb the syrup.
18) Cut the cake in squares before serving.