|Ground beef||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped to make 1 cup|
|Canned tomatoes||16 Ounce, cut up (1 Can)|
|Tomato paste||6 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Dried thyme leaves||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Elbow macaroni||7 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Egg whites||4 , slightly beaten|
|Feta cheese/American cheese||2 Ounce, cubed to make 1/2 cup|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Milk||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||4 , slightly beaten|
1. Preheat an oven to 375 degree F
2. Grease a large casserole or baking dish with butter.
3. In a large skillet, sauté beef and onion till meat is browned.
4. Spoon out excess fat.
5. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, 1 teaspoon salt, and thyme.
6. Cover the pan and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. In large sauce pan, boil macaroni till al dente.
8. Drain and return to pan.
9. Stir egg whites and cheese into hot macaroni.
10. When the meat is cooked, combine it with macaroni.
11. Turn macaroni into the baking dish.
12. In medium saucepan, melt butter or margarine.
13. Stir in flour, salt and cinnamon.
14. Pour in all the milk, stirring continuously to blend with roux.
15. Stir sauce until thick.
16. Take pan off the heat.
17. Spoon some of the hot sauce into the egg yolks and blend well.
18. Return yolk mixture to white sauce, stirring rapidly.
19. Cover macaroni with sauce.
20. Sprinkle a pinch of cinnamon.
21. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until hot and bubbly
22. Serve hot.