|Filo pastry||1 (1 Packet)|
|Semolina||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Semolina||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Lemon rind||1 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
1. Remove the filo from the fridge and let it come to room temperature.
2. Simmer the milk in a large pan with the sugar and the semolina, stirring continuously until the mixture starts to thicken.
3. Lower the temperature and add the eggs one at a time whilst stirring vigorously.
4. Allow the mixture to thicken whilst stirring continuously.
5. Add the remaining ingredients for the cream.
6. Set the cream aside, covering it with cling film which is in contact with the cream so as that it doesn’t form a crust.
7. Melt the butter.
8. Spread half of the filo on the bottom of a large round oven dish and spread melted butter on it.
9. Spread the cream on top of the filo.
10. Place the remaining filo, spread with melted butter, on top of the cream.
11. Cut round the edge of the oven dish to remove the extra filo.
12. Fold the filo over the edge of the oven dish.
13. Butter the surface.
14. With a sharp knife, score the top of the filo diagonally into portion sizes. In the centre of each portion place a clove.
15. Bake the galaktoboureko in a preheated moderate oven for about 40 minutes or until it has a golden colour.
16. Allow it to cool and cut it where it has been scored, whilst it is still in the oven dish.
17. It is better to leave it overnight and prepare the syrup to go on top the following morning.
18. For syrup, stir sugar and water together.
19. Add lemon juice and peel.
20. Bring to a boil, and cook over medium heat to 227° on a candy thermometer.
21. Remove from heat; add brandy, and cool.
22. Syrup must be cold when ready to pour over hot pastry or hot when pouring on hot pastry.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 8417 Calories from Fat 2274
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 257 g396.1%
Saturated Fat 153.5 g767.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1483.5 mg494.5%
Sodium 863.5 mg36%
Total Carbohydrates 1499 g499.6%
Dietary Fiber 9.7 g38.9%
Sugars 1355 g
Protein 84 g167.3%
Vitamin A 165.1% Vitamin C 65.2%
Calcium 137.2% Iron 38.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet