Greek dishes are fun, and many are not hard to make. For a special springtime treat, try spinach spanokoitas. For all the recipe secrets, here's Chef Maxwell.
1 Small, diced
4 Ounce, melted
12 Ounce, blanched and shocked
1 Tablespoon, finely chopped
1 Pound, crumbled
1 Large, beaten
Salt and pepper
1 Teaspoon (to taste)
Phyllo pastry dough
1⁄2 Pound, sheets
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a saute pan on medium heat, add onion and saute it for 2 minutes.
3. In a mixing bowl, add spinach, feta cheese and mix until well combined.
4. Add mint, salt, pepper, sauteed onions and mix well. Set aside to cool the sauteed onions.
5. Once the spinach-onion mixture is cooled, stir in the egg and mix until well combined.
6. On a chopping board, place the phyllo sheet and brush it with butter. Place another sheet, brush it with butter and place a third sheet over this. Using a sharp knife cut the 3 sheets lengthwise into 4 or 5 strips.
7. Take a tablespoon of the spinach-onion mixture and add to one corner of a strip. Fold the strip in a small triangle, flip it over then fold it in another triangle, flip it over and then fold it for the last time. Repeat this step for all the strips and set aside.
8. Transfer these onto a baking sheet and brush them well with butter. Bake them in the preheated oven at 350 degrees fro 20 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Serve these spinach spanokoitas hot garnished with mint leaves.
For a special springtime treat, try out these spinach spanokoitas. Watch Chef John Maxwell in this video as he shares this appetizing recipe with great tips. This video is here to make this excellent dish a super duper hit in your party or get together. Check it out..