Spanakopita |Greek Spinach Pie Recipe | How to Use Phyllo Pastry Sheets
|Frozen spinach||60 Ounce, thawed (Cut Leaf Spinach, thoroughly drained)|
|Onion||1 Medium, dice|
|Garlic cloves||2 , mince|
|Fresh dill||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), chop|
|Fresh italian flat leaf parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Green onions||2 Bunch (200 gm)|
|Feta cheese||12 Ounce|
|Grated romano/Grated parmesan cheese||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (fresh)|
|Kosher salt||To Taste|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Eggs||4 , beaten|
|Phyllo pastry sheets||1 Pound (thawed according to the Manufacturer’s directions)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (divided 5 tablespoons for sautéing and the remaining for brushing the phyllo)|
|Melted butter||4 Tablespoon|
Note: Follow the manufacturer’s directions for thawing the phyllo prior to making the spanakopita. This recipe calls for frozen “Cut Leaf” Spinach that must be fully thawed and drained of its liquid using a clean kitchen towel or cheese cloth.
- Prepare the ingredients first. Chop and dice the onion, garlic, dill, parsley, and green onions. Set aside. Dampen 2 to 3 paper towels and lay them on a flat surface. Unwrap one package of phyllo and place the plastic wrapping, with the phyllo facing up, on top of the dampened paper towels. Cover the phyllo with another layer of dampened paper towels.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 5 tablespoons of olive oil and sauté the onions until they are translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds followed by the spinach. Sauté the onions, garlic, and spinach just until combined about 2 minutes, and then pour the mixture into a large bowl.
- To the spinach mixture, add the dill, parsley, green onions, feta cheese, and Parmesan (or Romano). Mix well. (Note: The feta cheese and parmesan have a good amount of salt so you may opt not to add salt at all depending on your taste.) Season to your taste. Add the eggs and mix thoroughly. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Mix the remaining olive oil and melted butter in small bowl. A 9 x 11 or 9 x 13 baking dish may be used. Brush the bottom and sides of the dish with the olive oil mixture. Pick up 1 sheet of phyllo and place it on the bottom of the dish, lightly brush the phyllo with olive oil and place another phyllo sheet on top. Repeat this process until you have 10 to 12 phyllo sheets covering the bottom of the dish. Evenly spread all of the spinach mixture on top of the phyllo. Cover the spinach by repeating the process of layering one sheet of phyllo at a time, brushing it with olive oil, followed by another sheet of phyllo, about 10 to 12 sheets.
- Cut the spanakopita into the desired number of pieces. Bake uncovered at 375 degrees F for about 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Note: For best results, reheat leftovers uncovered in the oven. The phyllo won’t get crispy in the microwave.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5796 Calories from Fat 3589
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 395 g607.6%
Saturated Fat 116.9 g584.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1355.7 mg451.9%
Sodium 8711.5 mg363%
Total Carbohydrates 402 g134.1%
Dietary Fiber 69.1 g276.5%
Sugars 49.1 g
Protein 202 g404.3%
Vitamin A 4243.8% Vitamin C 346.6%
Calcium 516.6% Iron 313.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet