Onion gravy is a British sauce made from sweated onions and stock. It is a brown colored thick sauce which has the characteristic flavor of caramelized onions.
Ingredients and Preparation
Onion and beef stock are the main ingredients for making this gravy. Other ingredients like butter, rapeseed oil, balsamic vinegar and pepper are also used to make this sauce. Corn flour or corn starch is used to thicken this sauce. Red wine or grape juice can also be used. It not only enhances the color but also the flavor.
This sauce is made on low flame. Oil and butter are taken in a sauce pan and thinly sliced onions are left to sweat in the pan for about 10 – 15 minutes till the onions turn translucent and soft. Sugar and balsamic vinegar are added to the onions. Stock and wine are added and left to cook for 5 minutes. Corn flour is dissolved in cold water and added to the sauce preparation. Seasonings like salt and pepper are added and cooked till thick. Cold butter is added to finish the dish.
· Onion gravy is most popularly served with Bangers and Mash for St. George's day. It is one the most popularly served as a part the national day's meal.
· It is also served with sausages, frankfurters, roast meats, beef brisket and Toad in the Hole.
· It can also be used as a filling for Yorkshire pudding.
Health and Nutrition Facts
Serving size – 1 bowl (100 g)
Calories – 320 cal, Fat – 5 g, Sodium – 4180 mg, Total Carbohydrates – 65 g, Dietary fiber – 6 g, Protein – 9 g
· Onion gravy is high in calories. It should be avoided by weight watchers and people who are obese.
· It contains extremely high sodium, The recommended daily intake of sodium is only 2300 mg. People who are above 40 years of age and have a high blood pressure should strictly avoid this gravy. The sodium is contributed from salt, balsamic vinegar, wine and stock. Low sodium salt should be used to reduce the sodium content.
· Onion is known to lower triglycerides, thin the blood and is a good source of vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber.
· Balsamic vinegar is a good source of calcium, potassium, iron and manganese. It is also known to aid weight loss as it increases the metabolism of the body.
· Red wine used is proven to be good for the heart, it reduces risks of cancer, atherosclerosis and also helps to control blood pressure.
· The calorific value of onion gravy can be reduced by reducing sugar and wine.