Roasted Turkey and Gravy
|Chopped yellow onion||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Turkey stock/Chicken stock||1 Quart (roasted turkey stock)|
|Unsalted butter||1⁄2 Pound|
|To finish gravy for the meal|
|Fresh sage leaves||1 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Fresh thyme||3⁄4 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Heavy cream||2 Tablespoon (Optional)|
|Apple cider||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Apple brandy||1 Tablespoon (Optional)|
|Kosher salt||2 Teaspoon|
|Fresh ground black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
1. In a large heavy saute pan, melt butter and saute onions on medium heat, stirring frequently for about 15 to 20 minutes or until onions are caramelized to a rich golden brown. The butter will foam as the water content of the butter and onions boils off.
2. Sprinkle flour over the onions and mix to blend and cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Add hot turkey stock whisking constantly to avoid lumping. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes to thicken. At this point the gravy base' can be chilled quickly and refrigerated for a day or two.
4. Reheat gravy base. If desired, add fresh herbs and cream.
5. If you have the opportunity to use additional turkey drippings from the roasting pan, remove the turkey and hold covered in a warm place. Pour or spoon off excess fat. Add enough chicken stock or water to cover the bottom of the pan. Place pan with drippings and stock over a medium to high burner and reduce the liquid to 1/4 or less.
6. Add apple cider and brandy to roasting pan and stir to deglaze the nicely browned turkey fond on the bottom and sides of the pan. With a rubber spatula, scrape all of the deglazed pan drippings through a strainer into the gravy base. (If there is no opportunity to deglaze drippings from a pan, add the brandy and cider to the gravy base, cook for 8 to 10 minutes and continue to step 5)
7. Season with 1/2 of the salt and pepper, simmer and stir for 2 to 3 minutes. Taste and adjust with additional salt and pepper if needed.
8. Serve with turkey and enjoy!
Calories 280 Calories from Fat 215
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g37.6%
Saturated Fat 15.4 g77.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 66.1 mg22%
Sodium 731.1 mg30.5%
Total Carbohydrates 12 g4.1%
Dietary Fiber 1.6 g6.4%
Sugars 0.9 g
Protein 3 g5.9%
Vitamin A 16.3% Vitamin C 1.8%
Calcium 1.5% Iron 3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet