1. Keep the beef or vegetable stock ready.
2. Peel and finely slice the white onions.
3. Wash and dry the sprigs of thyme.
4. Pour the oil into a heavy based saute pan or saucepan and heat over a low heat.
5. Add the sliced onions and sprigs of thyme and allow to cook gently for about 10 minutes, stirring from time to time, until the onions are soft.
6. Turn up the heat and continue cooking the onions until they begin to caramelize and turn dark in color.
7. Remove the sprigs of thyme.
8. Mix in the sugar.
9. Add the stock and bring to the boil.
10. Season your onion gravy to personal taste.
11. Turn down the heat and simmer the onion gravy for 10-12 minutes.
12. Use with meats, curries or dishes as desired.