1. In a saucepan, toast the margarine, herbs and spices for a minute or two on a medium heat
2. Add the garbanzo/chickpea flour and toast, stirring constantly for about 4 minutes or until the flour starts to become a deeper color and is fragrant. Keep stirring constantly and be careful not to burn the flour.
3. Mix the water and soy sauce together and slowly pour a half a cup at a time into the saucepan, stirring constantly to make a smooth paste. There will be lumps in the gravy so mix vigorously with a wire whisk.
4. Continue mixing until all the water/ Tamari soy sauce mixture has been added and there are no more lumps. 5. Simmer on low heat, whisking constantly to make sure it does not burn.
6. If gravy thickens before you use it simply add a little more water, stir and reheat.
7. This gravy goes great with tofu, over mashed potatoes or on a biscuit!
Use Tamari soy sauce as it does not contain any wheat and is gluten free.