Sauerbraten with Sour Cream Gravy
|Beef pot roast/Top /bottom round /rump||5 Pound|
|Onion||1 Large, sliced|
|Vinegar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1 (as required)|
|Salt pork||2 Ounce|
|Cooking oil||2 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Gingersnaps||6 , broken|
|Monosodium glutamate||2 Teaspoon|
|Red wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dairy sour cream||3 Tablespoon|
1) Clean the meat and remove the sinus and fat off.
2) In a large bowl, place the beef.
3) In a saucepan, combine onions, peppercorn, bay leaves, cloves, vinegar and water, bring to a boil.
4) Boil the onion mixture and cool.
5) Pour the onion mixture on the meat.
6) Add enough additional water to cover the meat.
7) Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 36 to 48 hours, turning meat each morning and night.
8) Remove the meat from the marinade and reserve the marinade.
9) Pierce the meat and insert the strips of salt pork.
10) In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil and brown the meat on all sides.
11) Remove the meat and place in a pot.
12) In the same skillet, heat the remaining oil and brown the flour.
13) Add sugar, gingersnaps, salt and pepper, mono-sodium glutamate and 4 cups of marinade.
14) Simmer, stirring constantly for 5 to 10 minutes or until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
15) Pour the flour mixture over the meat in pot.
16) Cover and simmer for 2 to 2 ½ hours or until tender.
17) Baste frequently while cooking.
18) Add wine to the meat and cook for 30 minutes or until the meat is done.
19) Remove the meat from the pot and keep it warm.
20) Add the sour cream to the gravy just before serving.
21) Slice the meat and place on serving plate, spoon the sauce on it.
22) Serve potato dumpling on side if desired.
Calories 877 Calories from Fat 563
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 63 g96.2%
Saturated Fat 24 g120.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 196.1 mg65.4%
Sodium 1462.6 mg60.9%
Total Carbohydrates 15 g5%
Dietary Fiber 0.91 g3.6%
Sugars 7.3 g
Protein 56 g112.1%
Vitamin A 1.1% Vitamin C 5.3%
Calcium 7.4% Iron 29%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet