Candied Grapefruit Baskets
|Grapefruit||2 Large, thick-skinned and free from blemishes|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Light corn syrup||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Prepare the grapefruits by slicing a 1-inch-thick slice from stem end of each grapefruit
2. With a curved grapefruit knife, and then remove the fruit by carefully retaining the peel of the fruit to make a shell. Scrape the fruit from the peel.
3. In a large 3 1/2-quart saucepan, tip in the grapefruit shells and the fruit slices and add 2 quarts water. Bring this mixture to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer covered for 30-40 minutes till the peel is tender
4. Drain and cool the mixture. Carefully peel the excess pulp from the shells and the slices
5. In the same saucepan, pour in the 1 cup water, 2 cups of sugar and the corn syrup and then cook on medium heat while stirring constantly. The sugar will dissolved and the syrup comes to the boil. When the mixture registers 230F on a candy thermometer, or until a little syrup forms a soft ball in cold water; it is done.
6. Add the shells and the slices to the pan and simmer gently on low heat for 30-40 minutes till it is completely cooked. The peel will turn translucent during the cooking process.
7. Let this stand in a cool place in a medium bowl, covered till the next day.
8. The next day remove the shells and the slices from the syrup and invert each shell over a tumbler. Place the slices on a wire rack to set. This will take 12hours to set.
9. Sprinkle the shells and slices with remaining sugar. These can be stored for a long time by placing crushed waxed paper on the inside. The lid is placed on top and the whole thing is wrapped in waxed paper.
10. Remove the waxed paper before serving and filled with candied peel. Set the lid on top of the shell and decorate
Calories 584 Calories from Fat 1
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.18 g0.27%
Saturated Fat 0.02 g0.09%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 13.2 mg0.6%
Total Carbohydrates 151 g50.4%
Dietary Fiber 1.5 g5.9%
Sugars 130.6 g
Protein 0.73 g1.5%
Vitamin A 6.9% Vitamin C 82%
Calcium 2.4% Iron 0.96%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet