Candied Grapefruit and Orange Peel
|Grapefruit||2 Large (or Navle oranges - 4 large (about 2-3 1/2 lb))|
|Sugar||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Light corn syrup||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Using a sharp knife, remove peel from grapefruit or oranges and cut them into quarters.
2) In 6-quart, heavy saucepan, place peel and 2 quarts water.
3) Let the mixture boils; lower the heat, cover the pan and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, or until peel is tender.
4) Drain the peel and let them cool slightly.
5) Carefully remove any excess pulp from peel.
6) In same saucepan, combine 1 cup water, 2 cups sugar, and the corn syrup.
7) Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved and syrup comes to boiling.
8) Continue cooking, without stirring, until temperature shows 235 F on candy thermometer, or until a little in cold water forms a soft ball.
9) Stir in grapefruit or orange peel; simmer gently, stirring frequently, 30 to 40 minutes, or until peel becomes translucent.
10) In a bowl, transfer the peel and syrup.
11) Let stand in a cool, dry place, covered, overnight.
12) Next day, remove peel from syrup to wire rack, and let drain 3 hours.
13) Then, using scissors, cut inta 1/4-inch-wide strips.
14) Roll in remaining sugar, coating well.
15) Place on rack to partially dry—about 3 hours.
16) Roll in sugar again.
17) Candied peel can be eaten as snack or after meal sweet.
18) It can be stored in a tightly covered container for anytime use.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2723 Calories from Fat 6
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.7 g1.1%
Saturated Fat 0.07 g0.37%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 52.9 mg2.2%
Total Carbohydrates 705 g235.1%
Dietary Fiber 5.9 g23.4%
Sugars 622.3 g
Protein 3 g5.9%
Vitamin A 27.6% Vitamin C 328.1%
Calcium 9.7% Iron 3.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet