Millet and Tomato Gratin
|Sunflower oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 , finely chopped|
|Diced carrots||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Millet||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Dried thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Tomato puree||14 Ounce (1 Tin Or 400 Gram)|
|Vegetable stock/Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Grated cheddar cheese||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
1. In a skillet, heat the oil and gently fry the onions for about 2-3 minutes.
2. Stir in carrots and sweat over low heat for about 5 minutes, and add thyme and millet.
3. Cook for 2 minutes until the grains get slightly toasted.
4. Make tomatoes and level the liquid upto 1 pint using vegetable stock or water.
5. Dissolve the miso in 2 tbsp water and add to the tomato liquid.
6. Spoon this mixture over the millet mixture.
7. Boil the liquid, and cover the pan, simmer for about 30-35 minutes until the millet softens.
8. Look for the water content towards the end of cooking time and add little more liquid if necessary.
9. Avoid stirring at regular intervals because the millet becomes sticky.
10. Season to taste and pour the mixture over a lightly oiled 7 -inch (18-cm) tin and level out.
11. Cover the dish with grated cheese and grill for about 3 more minutes until cheese softens and browns slightly.
12. Serve the Millet and Tomato Gratin hot with salad.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1779 Calories from Fat 697
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 79 g121.7%
Saturated Fat 40.1 g200.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 182.3 mg60.8%
Sodium 2403.8 mg100.2%
Total Carbohydrates 201 g67%
Dietary Fiber 34.5 g137.9%
Sugars 36.1 g
Protein 67 g133%
Vitamin A 850.8% Vitamin C 113.8%
Calcium 150.8% Iron 109.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet