Couscous With Beef And Vegetables
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Chilled unsalted butter||4 Tablespoon|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Onion||3 Cup (48 tbs), finely chopped|
|Harissa powder||4 Teaspoon|
|All spice powder||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Carrot||4 Medium, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces crosswise|
|Turnip||4 Medium, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces crosswise|
|Cabbage||2 Inch, cut into 2 inch pieces|
|Chickpeas||2 Cup (32 tbs), drained|
|Ripe firm tomatoes||3 Medium, quartered|
|Cold water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Potatoes||6 Medium, peeled|
|Zucchini||4 Small, cut into 2 inch pieces|
|Pumpkin||1 Pound, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces|
1. In a large shallow pan, combine couscous, 2 cups salted water and olive oil. Using you palms, mix till well combined.
2. Cling wrap and keep aside for 15 minutes.
3. In a deep casserole, place water for boiling.
4. Place a colander which fits well on top of the casserole pot and cover evenly with muslin cloth/ cheese cloth.
5. Once water has boiled, reduce flame and place 2 cups of soaked couscous over muslin cloth. Use palm of your hands in order to spread them.
6. Once couscous starts to steam, add more couscous in similar fashion and allow to steam.
7. Once all the couscous has been transferred to the lined colander, steam uncovered for 20 minutes.
8. Once steamed, remove on to large shallow pan, spread and allow to cool.
9. Once cooled, add butter and remaining salted water and mix well using palm of your hands.
10. Re steam following same procedure as before for 15 more minutes.
11. In a deep frying pan/ casserole, heat oil.
12. Once hot, add onions, beef cubes, all spice powder, harissa powder, salt and black pepper. Mix well and sautÃ© on a high flame for 6 to 8 minutes, while stirring continuously.
13. Add tomatoes, chick peas, carrots, cabbage and turnips, mix well and cook for a minute.
14. Add cold water and bring to a boil.
15. Once boiled, remove beef and vegetables on to a serving platter and cover with aluminium foil.
16. In the same pot, add pumpkin, zucchini and potatoes and bring to boil. (Add water if required for boiling).
17. Once boiled, reduce and cook over a low flame till vegetables are cooked.
18. Add foil wrapped beef and vegetables and mix well. Heat on a high flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
19. Remove from flame; transfer all sauce on to a medium sized bowl.
20. Keeping aside 1 cup sauce, combine remaining sauce with 3 teaspoons harissa powder and mix well. Pour on to a sauce boat.
21. On a large platter, place couscous mound at centre. Arrange beef and vegetables all around it. Pour reserved 1 cup sauce over couscous to keep it moist. Serve with accompanying sauce in sauce boat and a salad of your choice.