Party Rye Loaves
|Rye flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Packages)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Caraway seeds/Sesame seeds||1 Tablespoon|
1. In large bowl, thoroughly mix rye flour, white flour, sugar, salt, yeast.
2. Combine water, milk, butter, molasses in 1-quart Sauce Pan; heat over low heat until very warm (120°-130°F.); gradually add to dry ingredients using low speed of electric mixer; beat 2 minutes on medium speed; add 1 cup white flour; beat 2 minutes on high speed, scraping bowl occasionally; with spoon stir in additional white flour to make soft dough.
3. Turn dough out onto lightly floured board; knead 8-10 minutes or until smooth, elastic; shape dough into ball; let rest 20 minutes.
4. Divide dough into 4 equal pieces; shape each piece into a 14-inch long loaf; place loaves on 2 ungreased 15 1/2 x 12-inch Cookie Sheets, 2 loaves per sheet; cover with towel; let rise 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
5. Make diagonal slashes on top of loaves; beat egg white with water until frothy; brush on loaves; sprinkle with seeds; bake 25 minutes at 375°F. or until golden brown; cool on wire racks. Makes 4 loaves