Ragout of Spring Vegetables with Almond Couscous
|Baby turnips||12 , trimmed, with 1/2 inch of stem intact|
|Fava beans||1 1⁄2 Pound, shelled (750 Gram, Broad)|
|Peas||1 1⁄2 Pound, shelled (750 Gram)|
|Unsalted butter||2 Ounce (1/4 Cup, 60 Gram)|
|Shallots||2 1⁄2 Ounce, chopped (1/2 Cup, 75 Gram)|
|Dry white wine||8 Fluid Ounce (1 Cup, 750 Ml)|
|Vegetable broth/Chicken broth||24 Fluid Ounce (3 Cup, 750 Ml)|
|New potatoes||18 Small|
|Ground pepper||2 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (Plus Extra To Taste)|
|Baby carrots||18 , peeled|
|Leek greens||1 1⁄2 Ounce, chopped (1/2 Cup, 45 G), Plus 8 Small Leeks, White Part Only, Cut Into 2-Inch Lengths)|
|Fresh chives||1⁄3 Ounce, finely snipped (1/4 Cup, 10 Gram)|
|Fresh tarragon||2 Tablespoon, minced|
|Fresh parsley||2 Tablespoon, minced|
|Almonds||2 1⁄4 Ounce, slivered, blanched (1/2 Cup, 67 G)|
|Water||16 Fluid Ounce (Scant 2 Cups, 500 Milliliter)|
|Couscous||12 Ounce (2 Cups, 375 Gram)|
1.Steam turnips for 8 to 10 minutes on steamer rack over boiling water.
3.In a saucepan, fill water to 3/4 capacity and bring to boil.
4.Add in fava beans.
5.Boil beans for 30 seconds, drain, and wash with cold running water.
6.Peel the beans.
7.Place favas and peas on steamer rack over boiling water, cover, and steam again for 6 to 7 minutes.
8.In a large, heavy saucepan melt butter over medium-high heat.
9.Add in shallots and saute for 6 to 7 minutes.
10.Add in white wine and deglaze the pan.
11.Stir to dislodge any browned bits from the pan bottom.
12. Add broth, potatoes, pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt.
13.Cover and reduce the heat to medium-low, and let simmer for 10 minutes.
14. Add in carrots , leeks, greens .
15.Arrange white parts of the leeks on top.
16.Cook covered for 8 to 10 minutes until the carrots and potatoes are tender.
17.Add in turnips, peas, and favas, turn gently in the simmering stew.
18.Cook covered for 6 to 7 minutes until all the vegetables are tender.
19. Season with salt.
20.Stir in all but about 1 teaspoon each of the chives, tarragon, and parsley.
21. To make the couscous: preheat an oven to 450ÂºF (230°C).
22. Grease an ovenproof 3-cup (24-fl oz/750-ml) mold.
23. On a baking sheet, spread almonds and toast until golden and fragrant for 7-8 minutes.
24. Place to the bottom of the prepared mold.
25. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (180°C).
26. In a saucepan, mix together water, butter, and salt and bring to a boil.
27. Pour in couscous and boil.
28.Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes.
29.Fluff with a fork.
30. Pack into mold and place in oven until set, about 10 minutes.
31. To serve,plate upside down on mold.
32.Invert mold on to plate.
33.Ease mold off.
34. The ragout can be spooned out and served with the couscous.
35.Alternately, serve ragout separately.
36. Use the remaining herbs to garnish the dish.