Couscous With Raisins And Almonds
|Olive oil||2 Fluid Ounce (60 Milliliter)|
|Onion||1 Small, chopped|
|Green peas||4 Ounce, shelled (100 Gram)|
|Red pepper||1 , seeded and chopped|
|Sea salt||To Taste|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Cumin||1 Pinch, ground|
|Semolina||1⁄2 Pound (225 Gram)|
|Couscous||1⁄2 Pound (225 Gram)|
|Oil||1 Ounce, mixed (25 Gram)|
|Water||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
|Raisins||2 Ounce, soaked in hot water (50 Gram)|
|Hot water||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
|Butter||1 Ounce, mixed (25 Gram)|
|Flaked toasted almonds||2 Ounce|
1. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil
2. Add the onions to the pan and sauté on high for 5 minutes
3. Add in the peas, the pepper and the seasoning
4. Cook this mixture for 3 minutes.
5. When the mixture is cooked, set the mixture aside till required
6. In a large bowl, tip in the semolina
7. Add the butter and oil mixture
8. Rub the semolina to the butter and oil mixture and make sure that each grain is well coated.
9. In a large pan, bring the water to a boil
10. Add water and the semolina
11. Simmer this mix for 8 minutes
12. Stir the mix constantly with a fork to ensure that the grains do not stick
13. Tip the onion mixture into the couscous
14. Pile this mixture into an earthenware dish.
15. Sprinkle with a little extra ground cumin and with the raisins and almonds.
16. Reheat for a couple of minutes in a hot oven just before serving.
17. Serve piping hot, accompanied with a salad of cucumber with a yogurt dressing or plain green salad with a curd cheese dressing, or simple tomato vinaigrette.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3341 Calories from Fat 1300
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 146 g224.2%
Saturated Fat 29.2 g146.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 61 mg20.3%
Sodium 385.9 mg16.1%
Total Carbohydrates 434 g144.8%
Dietary Fiber 39.1 g156.6%
Sugars 52.6 g
Protein 81 g161.3%
Vitamin A 111% Vitamin C 362.4%
Calcium 32.8% Iron 65.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet