Two Tone Rye Twist
|Sifted all purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Whole rye flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Envelopes)|
|Warm water||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs) (Very Warm)|
|Dark molasses||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Caraway seeds||2 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Whole bran cereal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Unsweetened cocoa powder||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Instant coffee||2 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), melted (1/2 Stick)|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Tablespoon, melted (For Tops)|
|Cold water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Combine 3 cups of the all-purpose flour with rye flour in a medium-size bowl; blend well; reserve.
2. Sprinkle yeast into very warm water in a large bowl. ("Very warm water" should feel comfortably warm when dropped on wrist.) Stir until yeast dissolves; stir in butter or margarine, molasses, salt and caraway seeds. Pour one half of the mixture into a second large bowl.
3. To one half of the yeast mixture, add the bran, cocoa and coffee; mix well. Stir in enough of the flour mixture to make a soft dough (about 3 cups). Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes, using only as much of the remaining all-purpose flour as needed to keep dough from sticking.
4. Place dough in a greased medium-size bowl; turn to coat all over with shortening; cover with clean towel. Let rise in a warm place, away from drafts, 45 minutes, or until double in bulk.
5. To remaining half of yeast mixture, stir in enough of the flour mixture, part at a time, to make a soft dough (about 3 1/2 cups). Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes, adding only as much of the all-purpose flour as needed to keep dough from sticking. Let rise as in Step 4.
6. Grease 2 cooky sheets; sprinkle with cornmeal.
7. When both doughs have doubled, punch down; knead each a few times; divide each in half. Roll each of the four pieces on board, with hands, to form a thick rope 18 inches long. For each loaf: Twist light and dark rope together; pinch together at ends. Place loaf on cooky sheet; repeat with remaining 2 ropes.
8. Let rise again in a warm place, away from drafts, 45 minutes, or until double in bulk. Brush lightly with melted butter or margarine.
9. Bake in a moderate oven (350°) 45 minutes, or until loaves sound hollow when tapped.
10. While loaves are baking, combine cornstarch with cold water in small saucepan; stir until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens, and bubbles 1 minute. Brush mixture over baked loaves; return to oven; bake another 3 minutes. Remove from cooky sheets to wire racks; cool completely.
Calories 1125 Calories from Fat 185
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g32.9%
Saturated Fat 10.9 g54.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 38.3 mg12.8%
Sodium 1584 mg66%
Total Carbohydrates 214 g71.3%
Dietary Fiber 35.9 g143.5%
Sugars 18.3 g
Protein 34 g67.9%
Vitamin A 16.8% Vitamin C 0.89%
Calcium 26.6% Iron 124.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet