Couscous Salad with Sugar Snap Peas and Portobello Mushrooms
|Portobello mushrooms||1⁄4 Pound, stems removed, wiped clean and cut in 1 x 1/4 inch slices|
|Chicken stock/Vegetable stock||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Finely chopped shallots||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||3 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Couscous||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Coarsely chopped cilantro||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Sugar snap peas||1⁄4 Pound|
|Red wine vinegar||1 Teaspoon|
|Red leaf lettuce head||1 , washed|
1. In a saucepan, combine stock, half the shallots, 2 tbsp (25 ml) of the lemon juice and black pepper. Bring to a boil; stir in couscous and half the cilantro. Cover pan and remove from heat; let stand 15 minutes, until all the liquid is absorbed.
2. Meanwhile, in a large heavy-bottomed skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the oil. Add the mushrooms and remaining shallots; cook about 4 minutes, until they begin to brown. Stir in the sugar snap peas and the salt. Cook for 2 more minutes, until peas are bright green and tender crisp. Remove skillet from heat.
3. In a large bowl, combine couscous and the mushroom mixture; stir with a fork.
4. In a small bowl, combine the remaining oil, vinegar, remaining lemon juice and remaining cilantro. Pour over salad and toss gendy to coat.
5. On large platter or individual plates, arrange lettuce leaves and mound salad on top. Serve at once.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1317 Calories from Fat 332
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 38 g57.7%
Saturated Fat 5.6 g28.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 10.8 mg3.6%
Sodium 1199.5 mg50%
Total Carbohydrates 197 g65.6%
Dietary Fiber 20.8 g83.2%
Sugars 16.5 g
Protein 49 g97.4%
Vitamin A 992.4% Vitamin C 200.4%
Calcium 35.9% Iron 83.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet