Shaker Beef Goulash
|All-purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Beef stew meat||2 Pound, cut into 1-inch cubes|
|Cooking oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 Large, sliced|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Apple juice/Cider||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Rutabagas||2 Medium, peeled and chopped to make 4 cups|
|Carrots||6 Medium, chopped to make 3 cups|
|Snipped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Crumbled dried marjoram||1⁄2 Teaspoon, or crushed|
|Crushed dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cold water||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Potatoes||6 Small, peeled, cooked, and mashed|
1. In a plastic bag combine the 2 tablespoons flour, the 2 teaspoons salt, and the pepper.
2. Add the meat cubes to the flour mixture, a few at a time, shake it well to coat it evenly.
3. In a saucepan, heat oil and brown the meat, half at a time.
4. Once done, return the entire meat to the saucepan.
5. Add onions, the 1-cup water, and apple juice; cover and simmer for about 1 1/4 hours or till meat is nearly tender.
6. Add rutabagas, carrots, parsley, 1-teaspoon salt, marjoram, and thyme; cover and simmer for another 30 minutes or till meat and vegetables are done.
7. Blend the 1/3 cup water and the 3 tablespoons flour into the stew and stir and cook till bubbly.
8. Arrange the stew into a serving dish and garnish with more parsley.
Calories 1141 Calories from Fat 463
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 52 g79.4%
Saturated Fat 12.9 g64.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 179.2 mg59.7%
Sodium 1749 mg72.9%
Total Carbohydrates 99 g33%
Dietary Fiber 15.8 g63.3%
Sugars 29.1 g
Protein 72 g144.7%
Vitamin A 326% Vitamin C 194.3%
Calcium 25% Iron 50.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet