|Beef shank/Beef chuck||2 Pound (1 inch cubes)|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Sweet hungarian paprika||3 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Lard||4 Tablespoon, unsalted|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Yellow onions||2 Medium, minced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Dried marjoram||1 Pinch|
|Green pepper||1 Small, cored, seeded, minced|
|Tomato||1 Medium, peeled, seeded, chopped|
|Egg noodles||1 Pound|
1) Preheat the oven to 375° F.
2) Take the beef shanks and dust them with flour and paprika.
3) In a 3 to 4-quart Dutch-Oven melt 2 tablespoons of butter with oil over high heat.
4) Add in the beef and saute till it browns on all sides. Keep stirring constantly to avoid burning.
5) Turn down the flame to medium before adding in the onions and garlic. Saute till they turn soft, for about 5 minutes.
6) Add 2 cups of water along with marjoram and salt. Stir well.
7) Place the Dutch-oven in an oven and cook uncovered for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Stir regularly till the meat becomes tender.
8) If needed, add more water to prevent the meat from burning.
9) When 30 minutes of the cooking is left, add in the green pepper and tomatoes. Season with more salt, if needed.
10) Meanwhile, in a pot of salted, boiling water, cook the egg noodles as per the packet instructions. Drain and toss the noodles in 2 tablespoons of butter to avoid them from sticking.
11) In a serving platter, pour the beef goulash. Serve alongwith warm, buttered egg noodles.
Calories 712 Calories from Fat 279
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32 g48.5%
Saturated Fat 12.4 g62%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 151.5 mg50.5%
Sodium 175 mg7.3%
Total Carbohydrates 62 g20.8%
Dietary Fiber 3.8 g15.1%
Sugars 2.3 g
Protein 43 g86%
Vitamin A 10.5% Vitamin C 21.6%
Calcium 6.5% Iron 29.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet