Beef Goulash with Gherkins
|Onions||2 Cup (32 tbs), finely chopped|
|Lean boneless beef chuck||3 Pound, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes|
|Dry red wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Beef stock||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Fresh Or Canned)|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
|Sweet gherkins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cut into julienne strips|
1) Set the oven temperature to 350Â°F before baking.
2) In a 5-quart flameproof casserole, heat lard until a light haze forms over it.
3) SautÃ© onions in it for 8 to 10 minutes over medium heat, until they are lightly colored.
4) Take them off from heat and then mix in paprika, stirring continuously until the onions are well coated.
5) Stir in beef and then pour in wine and beef stock.
6) Season this with salt and a few grindings of pepper.
7) Allow the mixture to come to a boil and then bake, covered for 1 hour in the middle of the preheated oven.
8) Take off the casserole from oven and remove about 2 tablespoons of the surface fat using a spoon.
9) Mix this with 2 tablespoons of flour and then add this to the casserole.
10) Place the casserole back to oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes more until the beef can be pierced easily with the tip of a small sharp knife.
11) On a platter, place the beef and then remove the surface fat from the casserole.
12) Mix in gherkins and heat for 2 or 3 minutes longer.
13) Adjust seasoning and spoon the sauce over the beef.
14) Serve hot at once.