Strasbourg Goose Casserole
|Apple juice/Cider - 1 cup||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sauerkraut in wine||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Goose fat||2 Tablespoon|
|Calvados||4 Ounce (1 glass)|
1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cut the goose into pieces as desired.
3. In a non stick skillet, fry goose meat until browned well on all sides.
4. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5. Cut onion into halves.
6. Peel quince, stone and chop.
7. Into a soaked Romertopf, place sauerkraut at the bottom.
8. Stick cloves and bay leaf on the onion halves and place on top of sauerkraut.
9. Spread the chopped quince in the Romertopf.
10. In a bowl, mix honey with apple juice and pour into the Romertopf.
11. Place the fried meat on top of the mixture; cover the pot and cook in preheated oven for about 3 hours.
12. Once the goose is cooked, remove onion and plate the meat.
13. Using a fork, stir the sauerkraut to blend quince well with the meat liquids.
14. Pour in the calvados to add more flavor.
15. Serve Strasbourg Goose Casserole with baked potatoes that are seasoned with salt, caraway seeds and butter.