Glazed Goose A La Jubilee
|Frozen goose||12 Pound, thawed (1 Whole, Ready To Cut)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Canned pitted dark sweet cherries||17 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Brandy||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Canned sliced pears||16 Ounce, drained (1 Can)|
|Watercress||1 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
1. Place goose on a meat boars and cut off neck and remove giblets from goose cavity. Use for making stock or gravy.
2. Trim off excess fat from body cavity and neck skin. Reserve for use in other cooking.
3. Wash bird thoroughly and drain. Pat dry on paper toweling.
4. Season inside out with salt and pepper
5. Truss bird and close opening with a skewer or stitch with needle and kitchen thread.
6. Drain cherries and keep aside, reserving the juice in a cup.
7. Preheat the oven to 400° F
8. Place goose, breast-side up, on rack in roasting pan and insert meat thermometer into thigh muscle.
9. Roast the bird in preheated oven for 1 hour, basting it with pan drippings every 30 minutes.
10. Reduce oven temperature to 325° F and continue roasting for another 1 1/2 to 2 hours until thermometer registers 180° to 185° F or insert tip of a knife into most meatiest portion of thigh and see if it is tender and juices run clear.
11. While bird is roasting, prepare cherry glaze in a medium saucepan by combine sugar, cornstarch, reserved cherry juice and brandy. Stir well until blended.
12. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until thick and clear. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
13. Glaze goose with this sauce, every 10 minutes during last 30 minutes of roasting.
14. Remove and rest the bird for 10 minutes before placing on a platter.
15. To the remaining glaze, add cherries and pear slices and reheat. Pour into a sauceboat or over the goose.
16. Garnish goose platter with watercress.
17. Carve the bird at the table and serve along with sauce and fruits.
Calories 1429 Calories from Fat 1101
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 122 g187.8%
Saturated Fat 35.5 g177.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 290.3 mg96.8%
Sodium 396.8 mg16.5%
Total Carbohydrates 16 g5.4%
Dietary Fiber 1.2 g5%
Sugars 12 g
Protein 58 g115.7%
Vitamin A 6.2% Vitamin C 28.5%
Calcium 5.4% Iron 53.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet