|Hot water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic bud/Garlic salt||1|
|Thin fat salt pork strips||6|
1. Start oven, set at 350° F., or Moderate.
2. Singe the goose, remove pinfeathers, wash and scrub the goose with hot water; dissolving 1 teaspoon baking soda to each quart of water. Rinse in clear water. Wash in cold water and wipe.
3. Stuff, truss and sprinkle the goose with salt, pepper and minced garlic or garlic salt. Rub the inside with salt. Lay the strips of salt pork over the breast of the goose unless it is very fat. If very fat omit the salt pork and puncture the fat areas of the bird with a sharp fork, around the thighs especially, so the fat drains out.
4. Place the goose on the rack in a roaster or baking pan. Roast 20 to 25 minutes per pound. Baste every 15 minutes with drippings in the pan. Pour off fat occasionally as it accumulates in the pan. Remove pork strips the last 30 minutes of cooking.
5. Remove string and skewers and place goose on a hot platter. Garnish with water cress and molded cranberry jelly.