Roast Wild Goose
|Young wild goose||8 Pound (1 Bird)|
|Lemon||1 , juiced|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped tart apple||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped dried apricots||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fine soft bread crumbs||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Melted bacon fat||1 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat oven to moderate (325° F.).
2. Sprinkle the goose inside and out with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
3. In a large saucepan, heat the butter, add the onion and cook until tender. Stir in the apple, apricots, bread crumbs, one-half teaspoon salt and one-eighth teaspoon pepper.
4. Spoon the stuffing lightly into the goose cavity. Close the opening and truss with skewers and string. Cover the breast with bacon slices and cheesecloth soaked in melted bacon fat. Place the goose, breast up, on a rack in an open roasting pan.
5. Roast until tender, two to three hours, basting frequently with bacon fat and the drippings in the pan. If the age of the goose is uncertain, pour one cup water into the pan and cover for the last hour of cooking. Remove the cheesecloth, skewers and string.
Calories 547 Calories from Fat 203
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g34.9%
Saturated Fat 6.7 g33.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 9.1 mg3%
Sodium 115.8 mg4.8%
Total Carbohydrates 14 g4.7%
Dietary Fiber 1.4 g5.6%
Sugars 7 g
Protein 67 g134.5%
Vitamin A 8.5% Vitamin C 38.2%
Calcium 3.5% Iron 4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet