Orange Pouf Glazed
|For meringue shell|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Lemon extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Frozen concentrated orange juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Whipping cream||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Red food coloring||2 Drop (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 275 degrees.
2) Use a brown paper to line a cookie sheet. With the help of a layer-pan, mark an 8-inch circle in the middle.
3) To prepare the meringue shell, in a large bowl, beat the egg whites with the salt, cream of tartar and lemon extract till the mixture is foamy-white and double in volume. Very slowly sprinkle in the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Keep beating constantly till the sugar has dissolved completely and the meringue is standing in firm peaks. This will take about 25 minutes of beating with an electric mixer.
4) Inside the circle on the brown paper, spread about ¾ of the meringue, dishing the center slightly and making the top edge even. During baking, the meringue will slightly spread.
5) Onto a pastry bag, fit a star tip and fill it with the remaining meringue. Press out into rosettes all the way around the shell’s edge. Alternatively, small meringue swirls can be made with a teaspoon’s tip. If there is any remaining meringue, spread it around the inside edge of the shell.
6) Bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour or till the meringue is light golden in color. Turn the heat of the oven off and leave the preparation in, with the door closed, for about 2 hours.
7) With a wide spatula, remove the preparation carefully and place it on a serving plate. If preferred, the meringue shell can be made ahead and stored in a container with a tight-fitting lid.
8) To make the filling, in top of a small double boiler, beat the egg yolks and whole egg slightly. Add the sugar, concentrated orange juice and lemon juice and stir well. Cook, constantly stirring, over simmering water for about 10 minutes or till the mixture is thick.
9) Into a medium sized bowl, strain the mixture and set it in a large bowl of water and ice. Chill for about 10 minutes, or till very thick, frequently stirring.
10) In a small bowl, beat 1 cup of the cream till it is stiff. Fold into the orange-juice mixture, while the bowl is still over ice, till there are no streaks of yellow or white remaining.
11) Into the meringue shell, pile the filling and chill it for 2 hours or till it has set softly.
12) Before serving, in a small bowl, beat the remaining ½ cup of cream till it is stiff. Use red food coloring to tint delicate pink and spoon the cream on top of the filling in big pufs.
13) Serve after cutting the meringue into thin wedges.
Calories 387 Calories from Fat 219
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g37.4%
Saturated Fat 14.8 g73.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 276.7 mg92.2%
Sodium 159.3 mg6.6%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.4%
Dietary Fiber 0.12 g0.48%
Sugars 30 g
Protein 6 g12.2%
Vitamin A 5.3% Vitamin C 30.8%
Calcium 6% Iron 3.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet