|Golden syrup||8 Ounce|
|Plain flour||8 Ounce|
|Candied peel||1 Ounce|
|Bicarbonate of soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F, 170°C, Gas Mark 3.
2. In a large pan, melt the syrup over low heat and then beat in the butter and sugar to form a thick paste.
3. Add the sifted flour and the ginger together and beat well. Beat in the egg and form a thick batter
4. In a separate small bowl, beat the bicarbonate of soda with a little milk and then add to the pan to combine. Lastly, add the chopped peel to mix well.
5. Tip this into a rectangular baking tray and set aside to bake for one hour.
6. Cut into slices and serve with apricot jam or pack into heavy-duty foil or a polythene bag for later.