Our Best Gingerbread
|All purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs), sifted|
|Baking soda||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (soft)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Molasses||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Hot water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) Lightly grease 13X9X2-inch layer cake pans.
3) In a bowl, sift together flour, soda, ginger, cinnamon, and salt.
4) In a large mixer bowl beat shortening with sugar until fluffy.
5) While still beating add in the molasses and egg.
6) Gradually add in flour mixture, half at a time, beating just until blended.
7) Stir in hot water until smooth.
8) Transfer the flour mixture into a baking pan.
9) Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in cakes comes out clean.
10) Place the pan over a wire racks and allow to cool the layers for 10 minutes
11) Using knife loosen the cake around the edges and turn out onto wire rack.
12) Slice the cake into big squares and serve warm or cold, plain or with desired topping
13) Leave in pan to cool on a wire rack, or let cool 10 minutes, then loosen around edge with a knife and turn out onto rack.
14) Cut into big squares; serve warm or cold, plain or with a topper of your choice.