|Plain flour||8 Ounce|
|Soda bicarbonate||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Ground ginger||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Syrup/Black treacle||6 Ounce|
|Eggs||1 Large (Or 2 Small Sized)|
|Milk||2 Fluid Ounce (1/2 Gill)|
1. Pre-heat oven to Regulo 3 or 300°F.
2. Take a 1 pound loaf tin, line and grease it with margarine.
3. Heat a saucepan, melt margarine over low heat.
4. When the fat has melted, remove the saucepan from the heat and add the syrup. Mix well until blended.
5. Let it cool completely and then mix in the milk, eggs and sugar.
6. Carefully fold in the flour and sodium bicarbonate.
7. Bake half way down the oven for 1-1 1/2 hours.
8. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes then invert onto a wire rack.
9.Make slices and serve.
Alternatively, the cake can be baked in a rectangular tin approximately 9 X 6 inches, then cut in squares.