Golden Syrup Gingerbread
|Plain flour||8 Ounce (225 gram)|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Soda bicarbonate||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Ground ginger||3 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Ginger||3 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Cinnamon||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|White cooking fat||3 Ounce (75 gram)|
|Soft brown sugar||4 Ounce (100 gram)|
|Black treacle||4 Ounce (100 gram)|
|Golden syrup||4 Ounce (100 gram)|
|Sultanas||2 Ounce (50 gram)|
|Ginger||2 Ounce, preserved|
|Chopped preserved ginger||2 Ounce (50 gram)|
|Peel||1 Ounce, candied|
|Candied peel||1 Ounce, chopped (25 gram)|
|Blanched almonds||2 Ounce|
|Blanched almonds||2 Ounce, flaked (50 gram)|
1) Preheat oven moderate to 325°F, 170°C or Gas No. 3.
2) In a bowl sift flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon. Keep aside.
3) In a saucepan cut in fat. Add sugar, treacle, and syrup measuring 2 rounded tablespoons of both treacle and syrup.
4) Place over low heat and warm gently until fat has melted.
5) Take off from heat and keep aside.
6) Into the saucepan add eggs and milk. Mix together thoroughly.
7) At the centre of the flour pour egg and syrup mixture and mix with wooden spoon until smooth and glossy.
8) Mix sultanas, ginger and candied peel.
9) Grease a 8-inch (20-cm) square cake tin and place a greased paper at the bottom.
10) Pour the mixture into it.
11) Sprinkle flaked almonds over it.
12) Keep at the center of oven and bake for 1 hour.
13) Let stand with the oven doors closed for first 40 minutes.
14) Place on a rack and cool.
15) Prepare the gingerbread a few days in advance, kept two or three days in a closed tin or wrapped in foil.