Our Best Gingerbread
|All purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Molasses||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Hot water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Sift flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt onto wax paper.
2. In a large bowl, beat shortening with sugar, until fluffy; beat in molasses and egg.
3. Stir in flour mixture, half at a time, just until blended; beat in hot water until smooth. Pour into a well-greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
4. Bake in a moderate oven (350°) 30 minutes or until center springs back when lightly pressed with fingertip.
5. Leave in pan to cool on a wire rack, or let cool 10 minutes, then loosen around edge with a knife and turn out onto rack.