|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Light molasses||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ground ginger||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground allspice||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||2 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cut into pieces (1 Stick)|
|Egg||1 Large, beaten|
|All purpose flour||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Frosting||1 Tablespoon (Ornamental Variety)|
1. In 3-quart saucepan, combine sugar, molasses, ginger, allspice, cinnamon, and cloves; heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring occasionally with wooden spoon. Remove pan from heat; stir in baking soda (mixture will foam up in pan). Add butter; stir until melted. Stir in egg, then flour.
2. On floured surface, knead dough until thoroughly blended. Divide dough in half; wrap one piece in waxed paper and set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 325°F. With floured rolling pin, roll remaining piece of dough slightly less than 1/4 inch thick. With floured 3- to 4-inch assorted cookie cutters, cut dough into as many cookies as possible; reserve trimmings for rerolling. Place cookies, 1 inch apart, on two ungreased large cookie sheets. If desired, with drinking straw or skewer, make 1/4-inch hole in the top of each cookie for hanging.
4. Bake until the edges begin to brown, about 12 minutes, rotating cookie sheets between upper and lower oven racks halfway through baking. With wide spatula, transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough and trimmings.
5. When cookies are cool, prepare Ornamental Frosting. Use frosting to decorate cookies as desired. Allow frosting to dry completely, about 1 hour.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3477 Calories from Fat 922
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 105 g161.6%
Saturated Fat 61.1 g305.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 453.4 mg151.1%
Sodium 2936.1 mg122.3%
Total Carbohydrates 586 g195.5%
Dietary Fiber 18.2 g72.8%
Sugars 205 g
Protein 54 g107.9%
Vitamin A 62.7% Vitamin C 11.2%
Calcium 59% Iron 173.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet