Thirteen Colonies Gingerbread
|Butter flavored cooking spray||5 (Nonstick Type)|
|Light butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (1/2 Stick)|
|Boiling water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Packed light brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Mild molasses||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Liquid egg substitute||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Finely grated fresh ginger||1 Tablespoon|
|Grated lemon zest||1 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Grated nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Fat free sour cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Packed light brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Confectioners sugar||2 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
|Unsweetened applesauce||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Coat 10-inch tube or Bundtpan (9 to 10 cups), or 8-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
2. Cut butter into small cubes. Place in medium bowl. Pour boiling water over butter. Stir until butter dissolves. Whisk in brown sugar, molasses, egg substitute, ginger, and lemon zest until well mixed.
3. Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves over butter mixture. Whisk until mixed. Pour batter into prepared pan.
4. Bake 25 to 35 minutes for 10-inch tube or Bundt pan, or 35 to 45 minutes for 8-inch round cake pan, or until wooden pick inserted in center of gingerbread comes out clean.
5. Meanwhile, make Creamy Topping if using. In small bowl whisk together sour cream, vanilla, and brown sugar until smooth. Refrigerate.
6. When gingerbread is done, remove from oven. Cool in pan on wire rack 5 minutes. Turn out onto serving platter.
7. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve warm with applesauce and Creamy-Topping, if desired.
Calories 477 Calories from Fat 93
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g16.3%
Saturated Fat 5.4 g26.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 24 mg8%
Sodium 322 mg13.4%
Total Carbohydrates 91 g30.4%
Dietary Fiber 2.4 g9.4%
Sugars 48.3 g
Protein 6 g12.5%
Vitamin A 7.2% Vitamin C 2.3%
Calcium 12.8% Iron 18.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet