Molasses Gingerbread Men
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted|
|Pumpkin pie spice||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||2 Tablespoon, softened|
|Brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Molasses||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dried currants||1 Tablespoon|
1. Sift the flour, pumpkin-pie spice, baking soda and salt onto waxed paper.
2. Cream butter or margarine with brown sugar until fluffy in a medium-size bowl; beat in molasses.
3. Add flour mixture, one-third at a time, blending well to make a stiff dough. Wrap in waxed paper or plastic wrap; chill several hours, or until firm enough to roll. (Overnight is best.)
4. Roll out dough, one-quarter at a time, 1/8 inch thick, on a lightly floured pastry cloth or board. Cut out with a floured, 2-inch gingerbread-man cutter or cut around your own 2-inch cardboard pattern with a sharp knife; place, 1 inch apart, on greased cookie sheets. Reroll and cut out all trimmings. Decorate with cut-up currants for eyes, mouth and buttons.
5. Bake in moderate oven (350°) for 6 minutes, or till firm. Remove from the cookie sheets; cool completely on wire racks. Store in a tightly covered container.