Home Made Ginger Bread Men
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Soft shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dark molasses||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Buttermilk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sifted regular all purpose flour||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Egg white||1 , beaten|
Make about 1 week ahead:
1. In medium bowl, with mixer at medium speed, blend sugar with shortening, then with molasses, until light and fluffy. Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk, then add to molasses mixture.
2. Sift 3 cups flour with salt, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Blend into molasses mixture; then add enough more flour to make a stiff dough.
3. Lightly press enough dough into a wooden gingerbread-man mold to fill the design, then use rolling pin to flatten surface. Turn out onto ungreased cookie sheet and trim off edges. Repeat until all of dough is used. Refrigerate on cookie sheet until gingerbread men are firm.
4. Start heating oven to 375Â°F.
5. Brush firm gingerbread men with beaten egg white. Press on raisins for eyes and buttons.
6. Bake about 10 minutes, or until done.
7. Cool on wire racks. Store in tightly-covered container. Makes 10 cookies (in 8 1/2 by 3-inch mold).