|Butter/Salad oil||4 Tablespoon (Null)|
|All purpose flour||4 Tablespoon (Null)|
|Gingerbread dough/Null||1 Cup (16 tbs) (1 Recipe)|
|Hard candy/Null||1 Pound (Red / Green, Transparent Ones, 2 Cups)|
|Icing/Null||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Cement Type)|
1. Butter and flour 3 baking sheets, each 12 by 15 to 17 inches.
2. For each votive, make a base, 4 wall frames, and 4 stars, using a total of about 1/2 the dough: Place 3/4 cup dough on a baking sheet. With a flour-dusted rolling pin supported on each end by dowels, roll dough into a square. Lay flour-dusted 5 1/2-inch square cardboard base pattern on dough and neatly cut around it with a long, flour-dusted knife. Lift off scraps and save to reroll with remaining dough.
3. Near the end of another baking sheet, repeat to roll another 3/4 cup dough into a square. Lay flour-dusted wall frame pattern on dough. Neatly cut around inside and outside edges; lift off and save dough outside the frame. Then, with a flour-dusted 3-inch star cookie cutter, cut a star in the center of the frame. Lift out dough around the star; save scraps. If desired, use a flour-dusted smaller cutter to cut out the center of the cookie; lift out center and save. Repeat to make another frame on the other end of baking sheet.
4. Repeat step 3 to make 2 more wall frames, each with a star in the center.
5. As pans are filled, bake cookies in a 275° oven for 5 minutes. Remove from oven, let cookies firm for 3 minutes, then place patterns and cutters on cookies, and, with a sharp knife, neatly trim all edges; discard scraps. Return to oven and bake until cookies are slightly darker at edges and give only slightly when lightly pressed, 16 to 20 minutes more for frames and stars, 22 to 28 minutes more for base. When more than 1 pan is in the oven, switch positions about every 10 minutes for even browning.
6. Remove cookies from oven and slide a long, slender spatula under them to release. Let stand about 5 minutes, then transfer to racks to cool.
7. Wash, dry, butter, and flour baking sheets. Repeat steps 2 through 6 to make base, frames, and stars for second votive.
8. To make colored windows, lay all the cookie wall frames in a single layer, slightly apart, on lightly buttered foil. Center a star cookie in each frame.
9. Place 1 cup candies (1 color) in a 2-cup glass measure. Heat in a microwave oven on full power (100%) for 2 minutes; stir. Heat on full power until candy is melted and bubbling, 10 to 15 seconds more; watch to avoid scorching. Quickly pour candy into openings around stars in frames (take care—it's very hot), filling frames to about 1/2 their thickness. As candy in cup hardens, reheat it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften. Add remaining 1 cup candies (don't mix colors), melt, and use to fill remaining frames. Let cookies stand until candy is cool and hard, about 30 minutes.
10. Gently lift wall frames from foil.
11. To assemble each votive, pipe cement icing through a pastry bag fitted with a plain or star 1/4(-inch tip, or spread with a small spatula. Pipe (or spread) a 1/4-inch-wide strip of cement icing along the top or side of 1 edge of a cookie base. Set an edge of a wall frame in icing and hold in place until icing firms a little, about 1 minute. Pipe icing along the edge of the base adjacent to the mounted wall. Also pipe icing onto 1 edge of a second wall. Press iced edge of second wall against the mounted wall, and a plain edge into the icing on the base. Repeat to mount and join remaining walls.
12. If desired, use the edge of a knife to trim icing flush with walls and base. Or decorate votives with more icing. Let stand until icing is hard, about 3 hours.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4023 Calories from Fat 1014
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 118 g180.9%
Saturated Fat 46.1 g230.7%
Trans Fat 20.3 g
Cholesterol 161.8 mg53.9%
Sodium 923.2 mg38.5%
Total Carbohydrates 727 g242.4%
Dietary Fiber 1.6 g6.5%
Sugars 449.8 g
Protein 13 g26.5%
Vitamin A 30% Vitamin C
Calcium 3.7% Iron 23.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet