Gingerbread with Raisins
|Water||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated ginger/Ground ginger||1 Teaspoon|
|Nutmeg||3⁄4 Teaspoon, ground|
|Cloves||1⁄4 Teaspoon, ground|
|Whole wheat pastry flour/All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Blackstrap molasses||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fortified non dairy milk/Water||2 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1 Tablespoon, powdered|
1. In a medium saucepan, combine water, sugar, raisins, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, and cloves and bring to a boil and then simmer for 2 minutes.
2. Remove the saucepan from heat and let cool completely, either in the refrigerator for 45 minutes or in the freezer for about 15 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
4. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan with vegetable oil spray.
5. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
6. Gradually stir the flour mixture into the cooled raisin mixture along with the molasses and non-dairy milk.
7. In the greased baking pan, spread the mixture and bake for 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
8. Sprinkle with the optional powdered sugar just before slicing.
9. Cover and store in a container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator or up to 1 month in the freezer.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1712 Calories from Fat 43
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g7.2%
Saturated Fat 1.2 g6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 3028.1 mg126.2%
Total Carbohydrates 406 g135.4%
Dietary Fiber 27.5 g109.8%
Sugars 272 g
Protein 22 g43.5%
Vitamin A 0.7% Vitamin C 4.9%
Calcium 69.6% Iron 65.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet