|Butter/Salad oil||1 Tablespoon|
|All-purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Gingerbread dough||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Butter and flour 2 or 3 baking sheets, each 12 by 15 to 17 inches.
2. With a flour-dusted rolling pin supported on each end by equal-size dowels, roll dough a portion at a time on a floured board.
3. Cut dough with flour-dusted cookie cutters (any shape you like). With a wide spatula, transfer cookies to baking sheets, spacing about 1/4 inch apart. Add scraps to remaining dough and repeat to roll dough and cut remaining cookies.
4. As pans are filled, bake cookies in a 275° oven until they give a little when pressed in center and are slightly but evenly browned, 15 to 18 minutes for Winch-thick cookies, 20 to 25 minutes for 1/8-inch-thick cookies. Let cool on pans 5 minutes. With spatula, transfer to racks to cool. If needed, wash, dry, butter, and flour baking sheets to fill again.
5. If desired, decorate cookies with icing piped through a pastry bag fitted with a plain 1/4-inch tip; let stand until icing is dry and hard, about 30 minutes.