|Shortening||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Packed brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Molasses||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Cream together the shortening, brown sugar, spices and salt. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Add the molasses and blend.
2. Sift together twice the flour, soda and baking powder. Add to the molasses mixture and stir until blended. Chill.
3. Preheat oven to moderate (375° F.).
4. Using a third to a quarter of the dough at a time, roll it to one-eighth inch or slightly thicker on a lightly floured pastry cloth with a floured, covered rolling pin.
5. Cut with gingerbread man cutter or any other cutters desired. If no cutters are available, fold a sheet of heavy paper lengthwise and draw half the desired shape (half of head, neck, one arm, etc.) next to the fold. Cut out the figure and unfold to make a symmetrical pattern. Grease one side of pattern, place on rolled-out dough and cut around outline with a floured sharp knife. Transfer carefully to greased baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough. Before baking, press raisins into the dough for eyes, nose and buttons on suit. Use half a slice of candied cherry for mouth.
6. Place in oven and bake eight to ten minutes. Cool on a rack. If desired, decorate with decorative frosting
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3829 Calories from Fat 1287
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 146 g224.1%
Saturated Fat 36.4 g181.8%
Trans Fat 18 g
Cholesterol 211.5 mg70.5%
Sodium 4683.4 mg195.1%
Total Carbohydrates 593 g197.6%
Dietary Fiber 13.1 g52.2%
Sugars 251.6 g
Protein 46 g91.2%
Vitamin A 5.2% Vitamin C 1.4%
Calcium 93.4% Iron 177.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet