In this episode, I will show you how to make a simple ginger syrup that you can use in club soda to make a refreshing ginger drink. Add mint, lime and rum and you got yourself an Asian Mojito! We will also be saving that ginger to make delicious ginger candy. Let's cook!
2 Cup (32 tbs), peeled, sliced 1/8-inch thick
2 Cup (32 tbs)
2 Cup (32 tbs)
1. Get a saucepan on the stove and add the water and sugar. Turn the heat up to medium high and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
2. Once dissolved, add in the ginger and turn down to medium to simmer it the mixture is reduced by half.
3. When your mixture is done reducing, remove from the heat. The syrup will thicken more as it cools. Take out the ginger slices and set them aside to prepare the candy.
4. Now take the ginger slices and toss them lightly in more sugar. Put them on a cookie sheet in a single layer and put them into a 225 F oven for 3 hours. The ginger candy should be dry yet chewy.
5. Now that the syrup is cool, funnel it into a convenient squeeze bottle and refrigerate it. For a simple ginger soda, just use one part syrup to about 7 parts soda.
6. Serve chilled along with the candied ginger.
For variations of the drink, you can add mint, lime juice, rum, vodka or any drink of your choice.
Things You Will Need
1. Cookie sheet
2. A funnel (to help pour the syrup into a squeeze bottle)
Here is a wonderful Homestyle Ginger Drink recipe that you can keep in your fridge all the time and make nectarous refreshing drinks. Add a dash of this syrup to your cocktail for an added kick. Watch this video for the recipe of this drink. You can use the leftover ginger and make yummy candy out of it.