Gin is an alcoholic beverage. Gin is an important element of cocktail drinks. Allen, 20th Century, Easy Street, Crater, and Gin Rickey are some of the countless numbers of cocktails made using gin.
It owes its origin to the Netherlands where it was first prepared in the 17th Century. It was a chance discovery by a professor of medicine when he was trying to prepare a concoction of Juniper berries for curing the stomach complaints utilizing their (Juniper berries) diuretic properties.
Ingredients and Preparation
Gin is made by fermentation and distillation of Juniper berries. After distillation it can be combined with coriander, rosemary, nutmeg, cinnamon etc. Distilled gin, Compounded gin and London Dry gin are the different variations of the basic gin which differ by their method of manufacture and ingredients.
Health and Nutrition Facts
Serving size – 1 jigger (42 g)
Approximate Values per serving (Calories - 97 cal, Fat – 0 g, Carbohydrates – 0 g, Protein – 0 g, Saturated fat – 0 g, Cholesterol – 0 mg, Sodium – 0 mg, Sugars – 0 g)
Nutritionally Good points about Gin-
1. Zero saturated fats,
2. Zero cholesterol,
3. Zero Sodium,
4. Zero Sugars
Major Health benefits of Gin: Some of the major health benefits of Gin are as follows -
1. It is said to have an excellent natural property for curing arthritis. For this remedy the Gin is prepared by soaking the raisins in the gin.
2. Juniper berries have good herbal medicinal properties for curing kidney and liver related diseases.
3. It helps the body in fighting against the obesity and thus helps in losing weight.
4. It helps in making the bones healthy and strong.
5. It helps in reducing cardiovascular diseases.
6. It helps in increasing appetite.
7. It helps in greater water retention inside the body
The only bad thing about Gin is that it contains alcohol and alcohol has a very high calorific value.