Quark cheese is a type of soft un-aged cheese that is usually white in color. This is a low fat cheese, which is widely appreciated for high level of Vitamin B12 and protein. Hailed from Central Europe, this cheese is extremely similar to other un-aged cheese varieties like French fromage frais, farmer's cheese, Mexican queso blanco and South Asian paneer. This cheese is also referred as topfen, tvorog, and biezpiens. This is prepared by heating soured milk to get the needed level of denaturized milk proteins. It is also named as curd cheese or cottage cheese by various popular English dictionaries. Even though this cheese is very common in Europe, the production of the same cheese is very rare in America and surrounding areas.
History of Topfen
Quark cheese is very popular in Germany since the time Roman author Taciturn mentioned its name in their write ups in the first century CE. Soon the cheese gained popularity all across the world for its soft texture and rich flavor. However, different countries named this cheese differently, like In Russia quark is usually known as tvorog, Quarktorte in Switzerland, Quarkkuchen or Käsekuchen in Germany, tvarohovnik in Czech, kwarktaart in the Netherlands and sernik in Poland.
Quark Cheese Recipes- Culinary Uses
Quark cheese can be used in various culinary practices by different cuisines such as Russian, Belarusian and Ukrainian. Most of these cuisines use this as an ingredient while making simple salads, appetizers, side dishes, main dishes, and desserts. Some of the other common uses of this cheese are mentioned below:
- This cheese is mostly used as a main ingredient while making light snacks such as salads, sandwiches, and cheesecakes.
- It is also utilized as the base of an Easter cake by mixing it with sugar, eggs, nuts and raisins.
- In Netherlands, quark can also be combined with popular flavors like vanilla, chocolate and fruit in order to make some delicious desserts.
- Apart from making cheesecakes, it is also utilized like a spread and even served with fruit as toppings.
- Popularly known as baking cheese in Canada, this cheese can be used to make various baked products like cookies and cakes.
- Quark Cheese is one of the most important parts of everyday breakfast in countries like Israel.